August 21, 2006

I Am Local (我很土)


Few years ago I didn't know how to spell the brand "Coach." For some reason I thought this brand spells as "couch" and myself was confused about why the fashion brand had such a weird name.
I did not even know LV's full name is "Louis Vuitton." Neither did I know LV is a big brand. On the contrary, I thought their pattern is too over-distributed since I always see people carrying LV pattern in 菜市場grocery stores...

Compared to some people here, I am relatively local. I came to the States at age of 25 for the first time- it's relatively late. On my very first flight to the States, on the way to the the other side of the globe, my poor English caused me mis-call "blanket" as "carpet." Furthermore, due to the anxiety of interfacing the whole new world, I was picked by the custom and they opened my luggages and took out couple Chinese medicine my mom prepared for me.

The first city I resided is a mid-size city located in mid-west. Pretty country side, hmm? Well having those longhorns and few hills is a pretty good fit for me. I was much enjoyable living in this city for couple years.

I am very local. I was stuck by myself in the middle of the management and the coworkers I worked with. It's tough for me to ask people conducting things myself don't agree at all. I didn't agree the management's decision and policy. After couple arguements, finally understood there is no room for disobey. I had to be the one who demand coworkers to execute at the end, reluctantly.

I am too local to pretend things I agree. This stubborn, local behavior is not something people like to experience but it's what I believe.

I am so local that after working 8 yrs I finally got my first branded bag, the Coach bag. That bag is an huge indulgence to me; meanwhile, a retreat for myself who have insisted about what I am for so many years.

I am local but fulfilled.

No comments: